Remembering King’s legacy

A student demonstrates the Ferguson issue during the MLK march as students pass by on Thursday, January 15, 2015 in Lexington, Ky. Photo by Hunter Mitchell

By Jonathan Coffman

Student actors and marchers honored Martin Luther King Jr. on his birthday Thursday by recreating scenes from his famous speech.

The MLK Center’s “I Have a Dream” Silent March and Vigil began by providing participants with a candle to light as they moved through campus. The march began at the MLK Center in the Student Center. The students were led silently through a visual tour of the major themes of the iconic speech.

Some of the student actors performed spoken excerpts from King’s “I Have A Dream” speech, while others held signs up with messages encouraging change and equality. Some student posters reflected modern sentiments related to the recent events in Ferguson, or cultural reflections on race such as the famous “We Can Do It!” poster reimagined to feature an African-American woman.

T. J. Merritt said he saw the event as an opportunity to give back to others and bring people together.

Orvis Kean, who works in administrative support for the MLK Center, believes there is much left to be done for civil rights movements all around the world.

“Dr. King’s work affected my own life in knowing that you can accomplish much without using force,” Kean said. “He gave me a sense of pride to know that I, as just one person, have a voice and can make a change.”

Kean said that students would come away from the event knowing what Dr. King started in the civil rights movement, where his work has progressed and that there is still much work to be done.