Editorial: In marketplace of ideas, the show must go on

American universities serve as a marketplace of ideas. UK has diverse views on a wide range of issues, and celebrates its support of free speech.

With the decision to go forward with plans to host a standup performance by comedian Bill Cosby on March 15 at the Singletary Center for the Arts, UK is sticking to its philosophy.

One of the most essential virtues of the American justice system is the idea that people are innocent until proven guilty.

UK students should keep this principle in mind on March 15.

Cosby is facing a whirlwind of sexual assault and rape allegations from nearly 30 women.

In the wake of the controversy surrounding the 77-year-old, many venues have canceled appearances by Cosby, who has yet to make a significant public comment regarding the allegations.

The Singletary Center came to a contractual agreement with Cosby’s promoter, National Artist Corporation, before the allegations began receiving national attention, so Cosby will perform on the scheduled date barring extenuating circumstances.

While the decision to keep Cosby’s performance might upset members of the UK community, it is crucial to realize that universities serve as a place where people of all backgrounds can come to learn, as well as speak their minds. Whether Cosby is loved or hated, standup comedy is the epitome of free speech.

One can argue there are many reasons to think Cosby owes an explanation.

For one, it seems unlikely that all of these women are being deceptive, especially considering that so many of the testimonies’ details – the use of alcohol and drugs for example – are consistent.

Despite the public’s conviction, Cosby has yet to be charged in a court of law. And considering he was scheduled to appear at the university before the controversy began, the university is doing the right thing, regardless of any contractual obligations.

Whether Cosby is guilty is for a court of law to decide. It is not the university’s job to decide his guilt but rather to live up to its commitment to free speech.

Conversely, if students feel that someone accused of such depraved crimes is not worth their time and money, the best thing to do is let their absence be their protest.