Cats escape second overtime scare against pesky Texas A&M

STAFF REPORT

UK basketball found itself in its second consecutive overtime game Saturday, but came out on top once again (70-64) behind improved free throw shooting and defense.

Four days after the Cats saw their biggest scare of the season against Ole Miss, their first true road test proved to be just as challenging and were taken to the wire in double overtime against Texas A&M (9-4).

Despite falling behind 0-7 and facing its largest deficit of the season (11 points), UK clawed its way back into the game and shrunk the Aggies’ lead to three points, 25-28, going into halftime.

It took only one minute of the second half for the Cats to take their first lead of the game on the back of a dunk by junior forward Willie Cauley-Stein and two free throws from sophomore guard Aaron Harrison.

Harrison struggled Saturday to a season-low 2-for-13 from beyond the arc (15 percent).

Head coach John Calipari has sung the praises of sophomore guard Andrew Harrison all season for his defensive ability and willingness to jump in front of passes and grab steals.

But it was Aaron Harrison who played the free safety-type defender Saturday, and it made up for his offensive inefficiencies.

Sophomore guard Devin Booker led all UK scorers with 18 while Cauley-Stein and freshman forward Karl-Anthony Towns fouled out late in the game.

UK returns to action Tuesday in Rupp Arena against Missouri (7-7).