UK Hoops tries to find right fix

By Kevin Erpenbeck

Despite an 8-1 record, UK Hoops has struggled to play consistent basketball, often trailing by nearly double digits against tough opponents. The most recent example was against Louisville on Sunday, when the Cats had to overcome a 16-point deficit on the road to defeat their in-state rival.

Head coach Matthew Mitchell alluded to a lack of energy at the start of games by the players as a reason for the deficits. That is why Mitchell has made it a point of emphasis to find out who is ready to play with “a competitive fire” in the Cats’ three days of practice in preparation for Middle Tennessee State.

“I don’t think this group is naturally competitive,” Mitchell said. “What I’ve tried to do is set that tone of desperation early in practice, because you’ve seen them come out swinging and lock in when things get desperate in games. You have to get them in a spot where it’s ultra-competitive (in practice) and see who’s ready to roll and who’s not.”

The Cats will need to sustain a high level of energy against Middle Tennessee if they want to win their fifth-straight game. The Blue Raiders have a history of playing the Cats tough, even upsetting them in 2011.

Mitchell admitted that he’s even considering changing the lineup in order to evoke a sense of urgency in certain players early in games, saying that sometimes, sitting on the bench is the only way to get through to players.

“I think we’re at a spot (in the season) that the starting lineup is very much up for grabs,” Mitchell said. “Every minute is open in a competitive situation in practice and if you’re not doing what you need to do it’s on you because we’ve been clear on what needs to happen.”

One of the areas where UK has struggled to maintain focus in is at the free throw line. The Cats are shooting 63 percent from the charity stripe, a spot on the court that Mitchell says requires the most focus. Senior center Azia Bishop has had the most difficulties from the line, going 6-23 this season and missing her last seven shots.

UK’s ability to battle back from seemingly insurmountable deficits against opponents like Louisville has made Mitchell admire the team’s toughness. But he maintains that battling the deficits is not a sustainable means to winning challenging games, and that only consistency will help the Cats beat a team like Middle Tennessee State.

“I want us to stop digging ourselves such a big hole. We can’t be the team we want to be by doing that,” Mitchell said.