Janee Thompson gives Cats second half boost against Louisville

Kentucky point guard Janee Thompson shoots the ball during the first half of the Kentucky vs. Louisville women’s basketball game at the KFC Yum! Center on Sunday, December 7, 2014 in Lexington, Ky. Louisville leads Kentucky 42-29 at halftime. Photo by Adam Pennavaria

By Joshua Huff

How good was UK point guard Janee Thompson on Sunday?

Good enough that the 5-foot-7 junior from Chicago led her Cats team from the brink of defeat against a significantly taller and stronger Louisville squad that dominated for 35 minutes in the 77-68 UK victory.

“Janee Thompson,” Louisville head coach Jeff Walz said, “I thought her quickness was something we have not seen. Janee is the one that really hurt us off the dribble the entire night.”

The Cardinals came out with more energy and an intense demeanor in the first half, pressuring the Cats’ defense as they started the game out with a 22-4 advantage in points in the paint. The size advantage was visible from the onset as Louisville continuously fed the ball inside to its bigs. The Cardinals Emmonnie Henderson, a tractor trailer of a forward, bullied the Cats all half, yanking down rebounds and throwing UK players around like ragdolls.

“I was just so disappointed with our approach to the game,” UK head coach Matthew Mitchell said about the first half. “I mean from the opening tip, we got the ball and threw a very nonchalant pass and (Jude) Schimmel stole it and laid it up.”

That approach to the beginning of the game carried over throughout the entire half as UK was outhustled and outplayed. UK spent the first half shooting over Louisville’s size, but the consistent pressure of the Cat’s guards eventually tired out the Cardinals in the second half.

Leading that charge was Thompson, who finished the first half with just three points but exploded for 16 in the second as she took advantage of her speed and penetration ability to drive past the tiring Louisville players.

“She hit some big shots,” Welz said about Thompson.

It was the most talented team Louisville had played this year according to Welz. “I’d say top to bottom, they do a great job, there’s no question.”

And there was no better talent on display than Thompson, who according to Mitchell was fantastic in the game.

“As I was reflecting this morning and trying to mentally prepare for the game, I was thinking to myself. ‘Janee has not played anywhere close to where she is capable of this season. She has some good moments but she’s struggled shooting the ball at times and boy did she have a great second half.’”

Her biggest play of the game came off her three that halted any Louisville momentum late in the game that held the Cardinals at bay.

“Just a tremendous performance,” Mitchell added. “I’m really proud and happy for her because she has worked extremely hard to have that kind of performance.”

If Thompson can continue to display the quiet confidence and subtle brilliance that she unleashed against a helpless Louisville team, then the ceiling for UK may have just ticked up a few notches.

This game not only tallied another victory for the Cats but also provided validation for a point guard that has fought throughout her career to achieve this level of success in front of a hostile crowd that was seeing red after her performance.

So just how good was Thompson on Sunday?

Darn good.