Young talent positions UK well for 2015

By Joshua Huff

The devastating 44-40 loss to in-state rival Louisville on Saturday sent UK tail spinning into the offseason stuck in the midst of a six-game losing streak.

However, not all hope is lost for a UK team primed to do great things over the next few seasons.

UK’s inability to post a winning record in 2014 was the byproduct of its schedule. Many experts had the Cats winning three or four games this year and UK exceeded those expectations by winning five out of its first six games; though, against less talented teams. With a schedule that ramped up in difficulty as the year progressed, the Cats predictably struggled against the talented teams of the SEC and learned a valuable lesson — UK isn’t ready to roll with the big dogs.

Yet UK has something it hasn’t had in previous years. It has a plethora of young and talented players that are more than capable of stepping up and taking over the leadership reins of notable seniors Bud Dupree and Za’Darius Smith.

UK’s 2014 recruiting class stepped up in a big way this year. Running back Stanley “Boom” Williams worked his way up to the starting position throughout the season, taking the job away from sophomore Jojo Kemp, last season’s leading rusher, and highly-touted transfer Braylon Heard.

Freshman receiver Blake Bone battled his way through the season, displaying flashes of brilliance. When he figures out his true potential, he can be lethal. His quarterback next season could be redshirt freshman Drew Barker, who could overtake Patrick Towles if Towles doesn’t improve and find consistency.

In addition to those players will be another recruiting class that, so far, consists of four 4-star players and 13 3-star players with more possible commitments on the way.

The future is bright for this UK team. The fight that the Cats showed against Louisville underscores the culture change head coach Mark Stoops has brought to this team. The players are buying into his system and are starting to believe that they can “change the game” at the university.

Despite the loss of offensive coordinator Neal Brown to Troy, the Cats have a strong core of coaches that can recruit and bring out the best in their players. No better example can be found than the fight and resiliency the Cats displayed even when facing powerhouse teams like Georgia (at least in the first half) or Mississippi State.

Not many expected them to compete at this level in 2014,  but they fought their way to stay competitive until the size and talent discrepancy overwhelmed UK.

If the Cats continue to improve and focus on the light at the end of the tunnel, they can take the progress made this season, carry it over into next year and finally become a contender in the SEC.