‘Main Event’ to focus on raising money for philanthropy

By Madison Gamble

Members of the UK Greek community are strapping on the gloves for the 2014 Main Event, the annual philanthropy boxing event sponsored by Alpha Delta Pi sorority and Sigma Chi fraternity.

The two-night event will feature around 40 male fighters, and for the first time in Main Event history, two female boxers are registered to fight. The majority of the boxers competing are UK students.

This year’s boxers have spent the past couple of months not just in the classroom, but training for this weekend.

Will Tompkins, a chemical engineering junior and member of Sigma Chi is this year’s coordinator for the Main Event and is responsible for making the event one for the books.

Last year, Sigma Chi and Alpha Delta Pi raised over $55,000, Tompkins said.

All proceeds will be split between the two chapters’ charities of choice, with Alpha Delta Pi giving all proceeds to the Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Bluegrass and Sigma Chi’s proceeds going to DanceBlue.

Between matches, sororities have the opportunity to perform dance routines and compete to be named “Main Event Sorority of the Year.” Prior to the two-night event the two Greek organizations are hosting fundraisers all week at local restaurants and businesses.  Weigh-ins will be held Thursday at 7:30 p.m. at Hugh Jass Burgers.

According to the event’s Facebook page, The Main Event is sanctioned and insured through USA Boxing and is supported by the UK Boxing Club.  Since it is amateur boxing, the organizations are required to have licensed physicians on hand during every match of the event in the case of injury.

The Main Event will be held at 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday, at Heritage Hall in the Lexington Convention Center. Tickets can be purchased this week at the Singletary Ticket Office for $12 for one night or both nights can be purchased for $20. Tickets will also be sold at the door, while supplies last.