Event brings together students: International Game Day offers food, drinks and entertainment

By Anne Halliwell

Students looking to escape the November chill on Wednesday can seek refuge in the Hub at the belated International Game Day, which will provide popcorn, drinks and a variety of board, card and video games for domestic and international students.

“It’s a festive atmosphere for them to come together,” said Toni Greider, the director of international programs for UK Libraries. “It’s very low-key, but we hope students have fun.”

Located in room B108C of the William T. Young Library from 1 to 4 p.m., the event is a relaxed way for students to drop in, pick up refreshments and play a game or two or merely socialize, Greider said.

The libraries and Media Depot supplied video games, Greider said, and “International Jeopardy” was created using facts from international students about their home countries.

Greider even went out and bought a checker board.

Because many UK students are approaching exam and paper due dates this week, Greider said the event requires a low time commitment by design.

Creating a huge event during the last full week before Thanksgiving break would risk low attendance, as students might be hesitant to commit hours of their time.

“Students are busy,” Greider said. “We try to design things (where) they don’t have to spend a lot of time … and hopefully they’ll have fun and learn something along the way.”

The official International Game Day happened last Saturday, Greider said, but this later date allows the event to be part of a week of international celebrations with the library, including a vexillogy contest where students will identify the Middle Eastern flags hanging in the Young Library’s atrium.

The flag contest winner will receive a $15 Starbucks gift card, according to the UK International Center’s website, which will hopefully attract students to the events. The goal is to promote awareness of other countries and encourage engagement.

“From my point of view, it’s to promote a place for our international students and our domestic students to get together with no agenda — just to have fun,” Greider said.