Much ado about everything

Sophomore theatre major and stage manager Abby Schroering at tech rehearsal for Much Ado About Nothing in Lexington, Ky., on Sunday November 16, 2014. Photo by Emily Wuetcher

By Anne Halliwell

Abby Schroering leaned over a binder of cues during Sunday night’s rehearsal of “Much Ado About Nothing.”

As the stage manager of the Fine Arts production, the theatre sophomore’s job is to “make sure that everything happens,” a role that was highlighted during the cue rehearsal, where Schroering bent over the list of entrances, exits, and sound and light cues, murmuring instructions to the sound and light operators as the entire cast and crew ran through parts of the performance.

She barely watched the stage.

Earlier in the evening, Schroering labeled the sound cues and ran through some for director Matthew Johnson.

Meanwhile, a team of students including international studies senior Courtney Stone peeled up tape to reveal the newly finished burgundy and indigo geometric patterning as part of the finalization of the set and stage design.

In working toward practicum credit for her theatre minor, Stone said she follows Schroering’s directions for on-stage work and also works on lighting for the play.

“They sort of teach you (the tech) while you’re doing it,” Stone said. “That’s why we do the practicum — to get hands-on experience.”

“Much Ado About Nothing,” which opens Thursday night in the Guignol Theatre, is a Shakespearean comedy that follows two couples through trickery and troubles. Tech week, the final week of rehearsals, brings in the “atmospheric” elements of the play, said Beau Mcghee, who plays Claudio in the production.

“It’s adding all of the things that are out of your hands, like the lights and the costumes,” said the theatre and physics junior. “Everyone sort of brings the world to life.”

The lighting and special effects were all added to the show Sunday, Mcghee said, and the rest of the elements, like costuming, will be added on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

“As far as being in the theatre … the magic happens during tech week,” said theatre junior Joshua Randal Price, who plays Antonio during the show. “The last week really isn’t about the actors, it’s about the show. (It’s) doing what you’re supposed to be doing to make the show better.”

Tech director Zachary Stribling watched from the audience to ensure that any problems with the set, which he “realized into full scale” with a team of student constructors, would be fixed before opening night.

“The lighting can make my set look great, or it can make it look horrible,” Stribling said.

Stribling moved around the audience Sunday night, looking and listening for gaps in the set from where the background light could be seen, or noises from the stage that weren’t part of the prescribed list of sound effects.

“This is Abby’s night to make sure everything’s where it is,” Stribling said.

Schroering is interested in theatre tech, and will give similar commands to the sound and light crews on the nights of the performances. Her job as stage manager is close to where she would like work in the future.

“I am where I want to be,” Schroering said.