Polar Plunge raises $11,000

By Tabassum Ali

Despite the snow and freezing temperatures, participants in the Phi Sigma Kappa campus-wide Polar Plunge willingly immersed themselves in bitterly cold water to raise money for Special Olympics Kentucky on Thursday night.

The event had raised more than $11,000 for the organization, which provides athletic events and training for special-needs people, said pre-business management senior Tyler Skaggs.

“Even with the cold, it was a huge turnout,” Skaggs said. “Over 300 people attended — I can’t ask for much more.”

Skaggs, who helped organize and host the event, said he hopes next year’s attendance will only increase.

Wes Reynolds, a volunteer and Special Olympics Kentucky coach, also expressed his gratitude and appreciation for the event’s support.

“The athletes are constantly fighting the odds each day,” Reynolds said. “Their disabilities disappear when they see things like this.”

Reynolds’ son Ty is an athlete for Special Olympics Kentucky.

“I get to see my son grow in confidence and with self esteem,” Reynolds said. “It has played a huge part in my family’s life.”

Claire Mynear is a BCTC student on the Special Olympics basketball, softball, bowling and track teams.

“This means a lot to me,” Mynear said. “I wanted to come watch them and I love how they are raising money for people like me.”

Spectators came to support the frozen students in costumes and glow-in-the-dark gear. A polar bear mascot made its way through the crowd of watching students.

“It is for a good cause and I see special-needs students in my classes … it is a great way to get involved in the community,” said Sam Franke, a secondary english education senior. “The anticipation of the jump when you’re on the ledge is the worst part.”

The night ended with much of the crowd huddled together against the below-freezing weather, wrapped in blankets to ward off the chill.

“This is something new, I’ve never heard of this before,” said computer science sophomore Michael Smith. “I might do this next time, it’s just too cold this year.”