Second chance at a first impression for Goodin-Rogers

Staff

Staff

By Joshua Huff

Friday not only ushers in a new women’s basketball season at UK. It also ushers in a new beginning for a player who near this time last year suffered shocking and devastating news.

After experiencing sharp pains in her side, then-freshman forward Kyvin Goodin-Rogers went to see UK senior athletic director Courtney Jones. Soon thereafter, Goodin-Rogers was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism — when one or more pulmonary arteries in the lungs become blocked — and forced to miss the entire 2013-14 season.

She started taking blood thinners to combat the potentially life-threating illness, and it was only the early detection that greatly reduced the risk of death.

Now with that firmly in her past, Goodin-Rogers is now looking forward to playing the game that she loves.

“It’s my life,” she said during UK Hoops’ media day.

However, the road back wasn’t so easy for the 6-foot-1 forward who is a deadly face-up shooter with skill and power in the paint.

Last season was rough for her, as she had to watch her teammates battle through a season only to fall to Baylor in the Sweet 16.

“There for a minute I was discouraged,” Goodin-Rogers said. “But then I took it in a positive way and take in all the games and practices and prepare myself and know what to do and come back this season ready to play.”

The fact that she never missed a game through high school was the toughest part to deal with, according to Goodin-Rogers.

“It was a big eye-opener to me,” she said. “So not only was I out for that year, it was very discouraging, but as time went by I got more positive thoughts about it.”

A year removed, Goodin-Rogers has come back for UK stronger than ever behind the support from her UK teammates.

During a scrimmage against Marshall, teammate and best friend Makayla Epps said how incredible it was seeing her take the court and play as if she hadn’t missed a beat.

“I was in awe,” Epps said. “The kid hasn’t played in a year and I was on the court with her and I love seeing her out there with me and when I was on the bench watching her, like she was just going like she played last year. I was like that’s crazy, you’re amazing.”

Goodin-Rogers has experienced no ill effects from the illness and doesn’t have to take any medication, which means she can now focus on the game and the appreciation that comes with almost losing the love of her life.

“I’m very appreciative,” she said.

With that newfound appreciation, Goodin-Rogers will hope to turn a second chance into her first opportunity to define her career at UK. If all signs are true, then look for this year to be a very good first season for Goodin-Rogers.

“She’s back and I think she’s better than she’s ever been,” Epps said.