Non-conference schedule highlighted by Kansas

By Nick Gray

1. Kansas (Nov. 17, 9:30 p.m., Indianapolis) — The Champions Classic will again provide the Cats’ toughest non-conference opponent, as it has in the last two seasons. Kansas will not quite have the talent that it did last year — two of the top three NBA Draft picks — but it will still have an able roster and a headlining freshman in forward Cliff Alexander. Alexander may be the only forward that could give UK serious issues on the glass this year.

2. Louisville (Dec.27, 7:30 p.m., Louisville) — Louisville may have the best player UK will face all season — Montrezl Harrell — and the Cats will be on the road. The Cardinals, though, have few proven scorers from the perimeter with no Luke Hancock or Russ Smith, both of whom graduated. Chris Jones and Terry Rozier will be pesky at the top of Rick Pitino’s press, but Rozier and Jones have struggled against UK’s bigger guards in the past. The bigger matchup will be Gorgues Giang and Harrell in the post against the Cats’ bigs.

3. North Carolina (Dec. 13, Noon, Rupp Arena) — Preseason All-American senior point guard Marcus Paige shredded Andrew Harrison during last year’s matchup to the tune of 23 points. It may have been Harrison’s worst performance overall last season, and he’ll have the opportunity to make up for it a month into the regular season. UK will have a chance to return the favor after the Tar Heels’ 82-77 win in 2013.

4. Texas (Dec. 5, 7 p.m., Rupp Arena) — A special freshman playing at Rupp Arena won’t be too difficult for fans to imagine. But this one — forward Myles Turner — will be wearing burnt orange. He will lead a three-pronged forward group that includes two guys who averaged more than seven rebounds per game last season,  junior Cameron Ridley and senior Jonathan Holmes.

5. UCLA (Dec. 20, 3:30 p.m., Chicago) — UCLA is not the Bruins of old, but it does have a wealth of talent  adding onto an NCAA Tournament team last season. A freshman class containing four guys measuring 6-foot-8 or taller — including five-star forward Kevon Looney — will make sure UK will have to work inside. This matchup would have been even more intriguing had three guys (Jordan Adams, Kyle Anderson and Zach LaVine) decided to stay in school instead of opting for the NBA Draft.