Common Reading visiting campus

By Corey Kopach

Ishmael Beah, author of the book “A Long Way Gone,” which served as the Common Reading Experience book for UK’s 2014-2015 academic year, is coming to the UK Singletary Center on Tuesday.

Born in Sierra Leone, Beah has come a long way from being a child soldier. Since successfully completing rehab and moving to Brooklyn, New York, Beah is ready to tell his story to UK students.

Many students will get a better understanding about war in Africa after hearing Beah’s personal account, which is the base of his book.

Beah experienced the violence firsthand, serving for the Sierra Leone government army as a teenager in the civil war against the Revolutionary United Front during the 1990’s.  Being rescued by UNICEF staff and checking into a rehabilitation clinic to treat his drug addictions helped him begin to turn his life around.

Beah currently gives speeches about his difficulties in Sierra Leone all around the world, and has even spoken in front of the United Nations.

In his book, Beah talks about his village getting destroyed when he was twelve years old. After his home was destroyed, he scavenged in other villages with his brother and friends.

Eventually Beah was taken by government soldiers and forced to serve. His book goes into details about the violence that Beah experienced, as well as the violence he was forced to commit himself.

The CRE made Beah their flagship speaker this semester after the club voted to read his book for fall semester.

“A Long Way Gone” has received 4.5 stars out of 5 from Barnes & Noble.

Beah and his book were even the focus of a New York Times article in 2007.

The free lecture at the Singletary Center in Concert Hall at 7p.m. is open to all.

Beah will first give his presentation and then will be available for book signings in the Singletary Center lobby.