The Edge: UK not primed for the upset

By Joshua Huff

Mississippi State heads into Commonwealth Stadium with every intention of shutting down a potential upset effort from a UK team that is coming off a tough 41-3 loss to LSU.

However, homecoming will be the perfect showcase for the Cats as the national spotlight turns its attention to the Bluegrass when the No. 1 ranked team in the country tries to keep its national championship hopes alive with a win against UK. The Cats hold a perfect 5-0 record in Commonwealth Stadium and has hopes of adding to its improbable 2014-15 season.

Dak Attack

Almost as improbable as the Cats’ 5-2 record will be the containment of Bulldogs senior quarterback Dak Prescott. Prescott enters the matchup as a multidimensional player. His balanced attack on the ground and in the air will cause numerous problems for a UK defense that has trouble limiting the run game. With Prescott’s ability to pick apart any pass defense and his threat to scramble, the Cats will be playing double duty as they look to limit a Bulldog offense that is ranked 13th in the nation in rushing yards per game.

Edge: Mississippi State

UK’s offense needs more gears

The constant bombardment of UK’s offensive deficiencies has gotten old. However, they aren’t wrong.

Sophomore quarterback Patrick Towles needs to figure out his role. Is he the type to simply manage the game, play not to lose, or is he a mobile, dual-threat passer that can carry a team on his shoulders? Honestly, I’m not sure. He has a tendency to scramble and the coaches call a lot of designed plays, but he does have an accurate deep ball when his line gives him time to scan the field.

With his run game nearly stagnant, and facing a Bulldog defense that only allows 120.5 rushing yards a game, Towles needs to find his inner Tom Brady and put the Cats on his broad shoulders. Brady has never been gifted with a group of talented receivers, but he has always had one or two guys he can rely on. Much like Towles has sophomore receiver Ryan Timmons.

Timmons needs to step up and become the playmaker he can be. Expect him to come into the game with a chip on his shoulder as he has a stadium full of doubters after his somber performance against LSU.

Edge: Mississippi State

Prediction

It’s hard to accurately predict which UK team will show up. Will it be the wide-eyed UK that showed up against LSU, or will it be the team that went blow-for-blow against South Carolina? UK is playing at home, an obvious advantage considering its perfect home record, but Mississippi State is the No. 1 ranked team in the nation for a reason. The Bulldogs defeated LSU at Death Valley, have three straight wins against SEC juggernauts and are coming off a bye week.

Mississippi State 35, UK 17