LTE: Voting only dignifies bad politics

Every November, my television and radio bombard me with advertisements telling me why Politician A is better than Politician B and vice versa. Most people look at voting as some sacred ritual with which “our voices” will be heard. It will be different this time, is what they seem to imply.

However, no matter how sly the political slogan, it does not detract from the point that voters have little to no say about the policy our overlords will adopt. A study from Princeton University came out and finally said what everyone knows deep down: the U.S. is no longer a democracy, but an oligarchy controlled by the power elite and their given interests.

The term Democrat and Republican no longer mean anything. For example, if you were to look closely at their respective beliefs and political stances on the major issues, it would be difficult to fit a piece of paper between the two. These people have no interest in what you or I would like to see for this state and country. Their devotion lies with their politically-connected friends, for whom they will bend over backwards to enrich.

You, the glorious voter, are disposable. The average voter’s interests are disposable. So, before heading to the polls, ask yourself, “Will anything change if I do not vote?” I’ll go ahead answer for you, no. Instead of voting with the false hope that anything will change, why not disengage them?

Do not give them the satisfaction of your consent that what they are doing is okay. How beautiful would it be to see a 10 percent voter turnout in the next Presidential election? Now that is a message I can stand behind.

This November and those that follow, remember the wise words of early 20th-century anarchist Emma Goldman, “If voting changed anything, they’d make it illegal.”