Event raises more than $17,000 for GreenHouse17

By Tabassum Ali

The annual “Strut Your Smile” fundraiser by the American Association of Women Dentists in the College of Dentistry raised $17,197 for GreenHouse17, an advocacy agency against intimate partner violence, on Saturday from 10:30 to 2:30 p.m. at the Student Center, said Whitney Deitz, the president of AAWD.

The event raised funds for GreenHouse17 and subsidized dental care from UK Dentistry for victims of violence.

“With each year, we gain more support, more publicity, and better brand recognition,” Deitz said. “This can only mean one thing — more women and children who can receive care.”

AAWD advisor and assistant professor of dentistry Pinar Huja said this year marked her first time working with AAWD and that she was glad to raise money for patients.

“It is good we are dealing with a sensitive topic that normally people would not talk about and bringing out into the open,” said Sarandeep Huja, chief of the AAWD’s division of orthodontics.

The event was sponsored by UK Student Government, the UK College of Dentistry, the Kentucky Dental Association and Pearson Justice Dental.

Over 200 people attended the event in its eighth year, Deitz said, and took part in a fall fashion show and silent auction with more than 130 baskets of UK merchandise, jewelry and beauty products.

“Dental care can literally be life—changing for people who are survivors of intimate partner violence,” Deitz said. “Not only do we provide excellent dental treatment, but we also provide a safe environment for these women to openly share their experiences and feel valued.”

Miss Kentucky 2014 Ramsey Carpenter played solo violin performances during the event.

“I love being here today and I like to work with organizations that are beneficial to other people,” Carpenter said.

Keynote speaker Jackie Murray, a survivor of domestic abuse, said she received support from GreenHouse17 and UK Dentistry.

“They helped me get through physical, mental and emotional abuse and I learned how to take proper care of my teeth,” Murray said.

Executive Director of GreenHouse17 Darlene Thomas said that some victims of partner violence are not aware of all of the resources available to them.

“I wish this never happened in society but it gives us a chance to reflect how lucky we are,” Sarandeep Huja said. “We’re here to support a good cause and have fun at the same time.”

Paula Caskey, assistant professor in the College of Dentistry brought her freshman class to the event so they could become aware of how they could become involved in the community.

“I’m glad I came,” said dentistry freshman and AAWD member Zahara Munis. “I spend so much time studying it is good to come out and be part of something good.”

Tiffany Moore, a dentistry freshman and AAWD member, agreed that the event was worth going to.

“It’s good to give back to the community and see what change dental care can make in someone’s life and support the cause, ” Moore said.