Rupp doesn’t need upgrade for Big Blue Madness

By Nick Gray

The annual preseason UK basketball spectacle that is  Big Blue Madness has been a Kentucky tradition since the days of president Ronald Reagan. But when the event changed venues in 2005 from the archaic Memorial Coliseum to the pillar of college basketball that is Rupp Arena, the event went from a practice to a full-blown pageant.

The event, which started in 1982, was growing in interest when held in Memorial Coliseum. The event covered the first basketball practice of the year, which took place at midnight. The coliseum at the time seated 8,700 people during Madness through the days of Joe B. Hall, Eddie Sutton, Rick Pitino and Tubby Smith.

The event then shifted to Rupp Arena — which was already 30 years old — and has promptly sold out each year.

Rupp has been standing for 39 years without full-scale renovation. The most serious talks between the city of Lexington and the university took place earlier this summer to no avail.

It begs the question to many UK fans — is it really necessary for Rupp to undergo a nine-figure renovation?

Madness is akin to a concert production and until the university comes up with a Madness idea that Rupp simply cannot handle, the arena should stand as is.

Arguably Rupp’s’ biggest event outside of a rivalry game against Louisville is Madness. The university routinely pays six figures for a new set-up, complete with lights and a stage along with fireworks and whatever other ideas the university’s marketing department has up its sleeve.

The university pushed the envelope technologically last season with extra lights and a spinning video screen above the court. Most of the presentation last season was brought in by the university and used solely for the one-time only event.

The arena’s lack of a central and prominent video screen has always been an irritating characteristic. It is one of a very few major arenas that do not have a central score and video board, and the four video boards in each corner are becoming quickly outdated.

Look at the scoreboard implemented at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio last year. It is the latest state-of-the-art scoreboard and can turn into a full video board if need be. It could be a complete upgrade over the blank sound system hanging over the court in Rupp. And while the corner video boards are a characteristic of the building, they are not one of the endearing characteristics of the building.

It stands that a technological upgrade would benefit the arena.

However, UK Athletics continues to bring in its own technological equipment and  is expected to continue on Friday. If the work becomes tedious, then a renovation should be considered. If the university wants to continue to carry the burden of technology during the arena’s most popular event, the university should continue to do so. Seating and the concourse levels are up to par and are modern enough to stand for the next few decades.

The university has used its resources very well in the nine years that Madness has been in Rupp. But if the well of usable ideas runs dry, then the arena may very well need an upgrade.