Performance discusses war, race and family

By Tabassum Ali

Mitzi Sinnott performed her one-woman show “SNAPSHOT” at the Worsham Theatre Tuesday night and tackled concepts like what people know about war, the role of a father and coming from a biracial background.

In the show, which combined music, dance and sound effects, Sinnott played characters that ranged from her own parents to Vietnam War veterans. She changed her voice, body language and facial expresions to convey the different personas.

Sinnott also personalized her story with the use of family photos and recordings and by reading letters she received from her father.

English freshman Courtney Page said the event reminded her of her uncle, who fought in the Vietnam War.

“It makes you think about how hard it was for veterans back then,” Page said. “I would definitely come back to an event like this.”

The show was in collaboration with the Martin Luther King Center.

“It’s always good going to a new place,” Sinnott said. “We did not have a proper rehearsal and I am pleased with the result.”

MLK Center intern Jamarl Bryant, a merchandising, apparel and textiles senior, said he met Sinnott in February at a workshop she held.

“I learned that it is never too late to find out your past and who you are as a person,” Bryant said. He also complimented the fluidity of the different artistic mediums Sinnott incorporated.

Michaela Massey, a psychology freshman, said the show caused her to think about the difficulty experienced by mixed-race people growing up in the past.

“The dance was my favorite part,” Massey added, “All (of) my friends dance, so it reminded me of them back home.”

Orvis Jean Kean, an administrative support associate at the MLK Center, said students could relate to Sinnott’s background as a native Kentuckian from Appalachia.

“It is the first time the MLK Center has brought a one-woman show (to UK),” Kean said. “We felt like her story would be impactful for students due to her multicultural diversity.”