Adult film star and pastor to discuss pornography industry

By Anne Halliwell

Problems surrounding the adult entertainment industry, like gender and economic issues, will be the focus of Wednesday evening’s debate between adult film actor and documentary subject Ron Jeremy and pastor Craig Gross.

The event will raise awareness of the dangers of pornography addiction, said biology junior James Collard, the Student Activities Board’s director of Engaging Issues.

“I think a lot of people expect it to be funny,” Collard said. “But these are really

academically-oriented guys. I’m interested in the content.”

Tickets may still be available at the doors, which open at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, and free tickets are still available in the UK Student Center, Collard said.

The debate, which begins at 8 p.m. in Memorial Hall, is a trending topic debate and will encourage audience members to participate using the hashtag “SABPornDebate,” Collard said.

“(Trending topics) are usually smaller-scale, so this is a little different,” Collard said of the hall, which could seat 700 people.

When the SAB was looking for next semester’s events last spring, the subject of the “Duke porn star,” known popularly by the alias Belle Knox, played into the decision to bring the Jeremy and Gross debate to campus, according to Collard.

Gross co-founded the website xxxchurch.com, which provides assistance to people who are addicted to adult films.

Although the debate won’t follow a prescribed format, given the opportunities for audience members to pose questions in person and via social media, Collard said he expects the debaters to touch on issues of empowerment vs. degradation, and pornography’s potential to affect relationships.