Behind Enemy Lines: Injuries hamper Warhawks’ offense

By Joshua Huff

The University of Louisiana-Monroe braces for a nonconference clash against UK at Commonwealth Stadium on Saturday. The Warhawks are coming off a 14-28 loss to Arkansas State last Saturday and will look to hinder the Cats’ bowl chances with a win.

The Warhawks will be without leading rusher in 2013 All-Sun Belt Honorable Mention running back Centarius Donald. Donald was leading ULM this season with 362 rushing yards on 82 attempts and three touchdowns. He ranks fifth in the Sun Belt in rushing and was a vital part in the two-deep rushing attack that ULM utilizes.

ULM will limp into the game dealing with the loss of five starters, a few being significant senior leaders.

“That gives some other guys more of an opportunity to step up and that’s what they need to do,” ULM head coach Todd Berry said during Tuesday’s press conference.

The tandem of Donald and Tyler Cain had helped the Warhawks rush for 430 yards on the season but they averaged just 2.7 yards a carry, a number that must improve if ULM has any chance of moving the ball against the Cats.

With Donald out, Cain will make the start. He has just 30 rushing attempts for 130 yards this year.

Despite the injuries on offense, ULM may be catching UK at the right time. The Cats are coming off a South Carolina game where they gave up 282 yards rushing on 48 attempts. USC running back Mike Davis accounted for 183 of those yards.

If ULM wants Cain and the running game to move the chains, it’s going to need more production from quarterback Pete Thomas. Thomas has 1,159 yards and five touchdowns on 112-for-197 passing this season. For ULM to put points on the board he will have to spread the defense to open gaps for Cain.

During ULM’s only other game against an SEC team this year, Thomas threw for just 77 yards on 16-for-30 passing against LSU in an 0-31 rout. The Warhawks cannot have that level of inefficiency at quarterback this Saturday, as the Cats rank second in the SEC in interceptions with nine and seventh in sacks with 11.

If Thomas struggles, the Warhawks may be in for a long day. The Cats will stack the line, forcing Cain to carry ULM. If Cain struggles, Thomas will have to beat UK with his arm, something few teams have been able to do this season.