UK football player pleads not guilty in rape case; warrant provides new details

By Nick Gray

UK football freshman defensive end Lloyd Tubman, 19, pleaded not guilty on a first-degree rape charge and was released to his parents on $10,000 bond during his court arraignment on Wednesday in Fayette County District Court, according to court documents.

Tubman’s parents paid 10 percent of the $10,000 bond. Tubman will stay with his parents in Louisville through his next court date on Oct. 23 as a condition of his release on bail. Tubman is also required to not have any contact with the woman who reported the assault, who is detailed as his ex-girlfriend in the arrest warrant, as another condition of his release on bail.

A UK Police Department officer was dispatched at     approximately 4:22 p.m. Thursday to Kirwan Tower, where a female UK student who lived there reported to police that she had been a victim of a sexual assault, according to the arrest warrant. The warrant states that the woman was “visibly upset, crying and shaking” when the UK police officer arrived at her dorm.

The woman told police that Tubman waited in the dorm lobby at approximately 11:30 a.m. Thursday and,     according to the warrant, called the woman, wanting to speak with her in her room. After initially refusing,  Tubman told the woman that he was in the dorm lobby and she signed him in as a guest, according to the warrant.

The woman said that Tubman repeatedly distracted her by knocking her shoe off of her foot with a water bottle while she typed a paper while sitting on her roommate’s bed, the warrant stated. Tubman disrobed after the woman grabbed her shoe and returned to her roommate’s bed, according to the warrant. The woman told Tubman that they were not going to have any sexual contact, according to the warrant, before Tubman grabbed the woman and threw her onto her own bed.

The woman told police that she attempted to resist Tubman and threatened to scream, according to the warrant. Tubman attempted to cover her mouth, and the woman bit his hand. Tubman bit the woman in the shoulder in retaliation, according to the warrant.

Tubman was told to leave by the woman immediately after the alleged assault, the warrant stated. The woman went to the dorm lobby to sign out Tubman after being “previously admonished for not being present with a visitor check-out a few weeks prior.”

Surveillance video showed that there was “no physical contact or intimate gestures” between Tubman and the woman when Tubman left the dorm.

The woman underwent a sexual assault examination at around 9:20 p.m. Thursday. Police gathered evidence including the woman’s clothing and towels used by each person after the alleged assault.

Tubman was arrested by UK police on Tuesday and was jailed through Wednesday morning.

Tubman was a four-star recruit from Seneca High School in Louisville and signed with UK over Penn State, Nebraska and others on National Signing Day. He was a consensus Top-5 recruit in the state for his class. The football program indefinitely suspended Tubman after the arrest was made.