Tutoring services in chemistry, math brought to north campus

By Cheyene Miller

Tutoring services for chemistry, math, physics and other subjects are now easily available for students on north campus.

The Study North, located in Champions Court I, will also provide tutoring in economics and accounting.

The official opening for the new counterpart to the Commons’ The Study will be on Oct. 20, but some services are already being offered at the added location.

The tutoring services are being provided by Academic Enhancement, wrote associate director for Academic Enhancement James Breslin in an email to the Kentucky Kernel.

Presentation U!, currently located in the W. T. Young Library’s Hub, will have an additional location in The Study North to assist students with public speeches, academic papers, group presentations and computerized slide shows, Breslin added.

“The space was designed specifically for teamwork among small groups of students,” Breslin wrote in the email. Breslin added that the new study “features several screens for digital collaboration, as well as wall surfaces that students can write on with dry erase markers. This means that nearly all the vertical surfaces in The Study North are writable.”

The Study North is located next to Common Grounds coffee shop, Breslin wrote in the email. This is a partnership that brings together Academic Enhancement, Presentation U!, UK Dining, Aramark and Common Grounds, he wrote.

Last year, The Study provided nearly 24,000 tutoring sessions, Breslin wrote in the email.

“We believe that thousands of UK students will benefit from accessing tutoring services from these two great departments in The Study North,” he added.

Breslin went on to state that assessment data shows that students who receive tutoring from Academic Enhancement receive better grades and that first-year students who receive tutoring have higher retention rates.

The UK Board of Trustees approved about $2.8 million to fund all construction and set up costs for The Study North, Breslin wrote in the email.

This money went towards pouring the concrete floor, creating the walls and ceiling, all plumbing and electrical work, lighting, restrooms, technology, furniture, and heating, ventilating and air conditioning installation.