UK embraces nerd culture

By Erik Kropp

Movies, music and art filled the atmosphere in the UK student center as students embraced nerd culture in the Rasdall Gallery.

Fan art ordered online featuring Harry Potter, Doctor Who and Star Wars covered the walls.

Below these photos were fun facts such as “Michael Jackson once approached J.K. Rowling about making the series into a musical and she turned it down,” or “The line ‘Luke I am your father’ is never spoken in the Star Wars movies. The actual line is ‘I am your father.’”

The band Branches an indie/folk rock group from Los Angeles consisting of Tyler Madsen, vocalist Natalie Nicoles, banjo player Jacob Montague, electric guitarist Tyler Goerzen and bassist Eric Price.

Tyler Madsen said, “We were contacted by the school and they asked us if we wanted to play this event, and we were ‘like yeah we love nerdy things.’”

Branches believe they have a nerd influence and hope there future albums show that. They can be found on facebook.com/soundslikebranches.

Melissa Simon, a senior majoring in Arts Administration, was one of the leading ideas in this event.

“I think that nerd culture is under represented on campus, and I believe that a lot of people have similar interests, so this is an event to bring people together and celebrate the nerd in all of us,” Simon said.

Ryan Ruff, a freshman majoring in Art Administration said, “We are working on a tattoo exhibit for next semester and hopefully it will be as popular as these have.”