Martin Luther King Center to host Storytellers event

By Simon Olagbaju

Poets, dancers and singers from UK will be among those who perform in the Student Center Ballroom at the Martin Luther King Center’s King Café Storytellers event on Tuesday at 6 p.m.

MLK Center administrative support associate Orvis Kean advised the the audience to attend with high expectations and “sit back, relax, and enjoy all the performances from the participants.”

Adapted from the famous television music series VH1 Storytellers, which hosted the likes of Kanye West, Norah Jones, Taylor Swift and many other established musicians, this yearly end-of-September event is primarily organized to reveal the talents of various students UK has on campus, Kean said.

Kean said there will be a few open slots for attendees who become interested in participating in the event.

Participants will include dance teams, poets, rappers, choirs, acoustic musicians and singers of various genres, Kean added. All these groups of people will share their personal stories through their performances.

“‘King Café Storytellers’ is an opportunity for all members of the audience to learn about the many different cultures of the students who will be performing on Tuesday,” Kean said.

Last year about 125 people attended King Café Storytellers, Kean said, and he expects this year’s audience to reach between 150 and 200 attendees.

Kean also said that among the student performers will be international UK students hailing from all corners of the world.

“‘Storytellers’ will give them the chance to tell the world of the talents of people who originate from countries outside the U.S.,” Kean said. “It will be an eye opener that simply cannot be overlooked.”