UK football’s future shines bright

By Joshua Huff

UK football may have lost Saturday against Florida, but what they didn’t lose was a sense of accomplishment.

The Cats came into Saturday’s game coming off back-to-back wins and riding a wave of optimism and a swagger that hasn’t been seen since before the days of Joker Phillips. Which is something, considering UK was picked to be dead last in the Southeastern Conference’s east division.

UK was also picked to be heavy underdogs to a Florida team that has a lot to play for. The coaching life of Florida head coach Will Muschamp, the redemption of a disappointing 2013 season and a ravenous fan base known for its gator chomps and raucous behavior have completed the perfect storm for the Gators.

Yet none of that mattered to UK.

The Cats have nothing to lose. Consecutive 2-10 seasons will do that to a team. Yet the Cats have added a certain aura to that blind optimism, an aura of believing. Why can’t UK win in the SEC? Why not us?

Saturday night answered those questions. They can win in the SEC- maybe not this very second, maybe not this season, but that win is close. So close that UK came one play away from pulling out their first win against Florida since 1986. One play away from halting that 17-game SEC losing streak, and yet that one play spoke volumes.

It said that UK could win.

And with Vanderbilt making the trip up from Nashville to Commonwealth Stadium next Saturday that SEC win is knocking on the door with big, thunderous booms.

The future of UK is bright. And we can give  credit to UK head coach Mark Stoops and his complement of assistant coaches. Stoops was a walking chucky doll down on the sidelines during the game. Oozing with an anger and passion, he exemplifies the culture the he is building at UK. A culture that many fans are not aware of: a culture of winning.

Stoops didn’t come here to lose; he didn’t come here to see UK remain the cellar dweller of the SEC East. Stoops knows how to win. His last stop was at Florida State, a now perennial national contender. His recruiting, passion for the job and desire to win are seeping through the cracks of his football team.

His team may have lost in heartbreaking fashion, but UK has a lot to be proud of. A talented set of young players, a deep group of veterans and an incoming recruiting class that will put the Cats back into the national spotlight.

UK football is here to stay.