UK football looks for SEC validation against Florida

By Annie Dunbar

The Florida Gators will be the Cats’ next stepping stone to validate their improvement and solidify their skills on both sides of the ball.

Both the Gators and Cats started the 2014 season with a chip on their shoulder after coming off a disappointing 2013 year — Florida ended its season 4-8 overall. With Florida head coach Will Muschamp sitting in the hot seat, the Gators will be chomping at the bit to continue their 27-year winning streak against UK.

Come Saturday in Gainesville, Fla., the Cats’ main focus will be trucking through Muschamp’s specialty defense and the tight grasp of preseason Defensive Player of The Year, cornerback Vernon Hargreaves, III.

“They’re very aggressive defensively,” head coach Mark Stoops said.

Hargreaves, who is one of the best man-to-man cover corners in the conference, led the Gators in interceptions and pass breakups in 2013. He also finished seventh on the team in tackles with 38. Stoops does not want Patrick Towles to utilize the quarterback sneak as much as he did during the Cats’ matchup with Ohio due to the Gators strong defense, which leaves Hargreaves itching to square up against the Cats’ speedy ground raid.

“I don’t think we really want to be in the business of going into The Swamp and running him 22 times,” Stoops said. “I’m not sure that will be a good idea. Yeah, we’ll talk to him a little bit about some of the reads and some of the design. He can run and he will run. But I don’t think any of us are looking for that many every week.”

On the offensive side of the ball, standout junior quarterback Jeff Driskel shined in the Gators’ opener against Eastern Michigan. Driskel was 31-for -45 and threw for 248 yards with one touchdown.

“He’s a good football player and he’s got some good weapons with a good system,” Stoops said. “He can run it and he can throw it. They exploded in that first game. They have some play makers.”

Sophomore running back Kelvin Taylor also put on a show in Florida’s 65-0 demolition of the Eagles. Taylor rushed for 68 yards on eight carries for the Gators.

“I think they’re much different offensively this year,” Stoops said. “They got some weapons and they got some real speed outside, a great scheme. You know, I think they’re much improved offensively.”

The Gators will be a big challenge for the Cats but Stoops is excited to get into conference play.

“It’s a great place, a great atmosphere,” Stoops said. “Very passionate fan base. It will be a real challenge. It’s certainly not easy. It will be really good for us to see where we’re at. I know the coaches are excited. The players are anxious for this great challenge.  We’ll see where we’re at.”