Guest speaker explains culture through food with ‘Kosher Soul’ event

By Tabassum Ali

Michael W. Twitty, a food writer and historian, demonstrated how food can bridge the gap between cultures at the “Kosher Soul” event in the Student Center Monday evening.

“There are 35 to 40 million people who are African American and only about 50,000 people are black Jews,” Twitty said.

Jewish Studies invited Michael Twitty to speak, along with African-American and Africana Studies, the MLK Center and the College of Arts and Sciences.

Janice Fernheimer, director of Jewish Studies, said she learned about Michael Twitty and knew he would be “the real deal” for UK.

“There are so many different ways of understanding and being Jewish,” Twitty said. “And being Jewish depends on where you are from, it is part of our African-American experience.”

Kosher soul food comes from the exchange of spices and cultures, Twitty said.

“Food is the easiest way to get Jews and blacks together and bridge the gap,” Twitty said.

He made black-eyed peas and hummus with volunteers from the audience. A range of spices and peppers were also laid on the table for people to add to their taste.

“Food brings people of all ages and cultures together,” Twitty added. “It is a way of communication and gives people a chance to bond.”

Twitty also used the platform to call attention to prejudice against African-American Jews.

“There is a double prejudice for African-American Jews, it’s hard for some Jews to believe that African Americans can be Jews,” Twitty said.

Fernheimer was pleased with the turnout and said, “We try our best to bring a wide range of speakers to show

diversity.”