Construction inconveniences students

By Anne Halliwell

Big construction on the Gatton Building equals small inconveniences for students and residents, said Kenneth Troske, senior associate dean and project manager for the Gatton College.

“It is in the middle of campus,” Troske said. “We are trying to conduct classes next to what is essentially an active construction zone.”

The college broke ground on the new renovations almost a year ago, in October 2013.

The construction, estimated at about $65 million, will be completed in two parts — the initial renovation of the original building, which was built in the 1960s, and next year’s reconstruction of the classroom buildings, Troske said.

The project may be five or so days behind schedule, Troske said, but completion is still scheduled for Aug. 2015 and April 2016, respectively.

The building will be constructed entirely with donated money, Troske said, though only about $51 million in commitments has been secured.

Although having all of the pledges secured before the building is secured would be ideal, Troske said it won’t delay the project.

“The university has the capability of funding the building while we are still fund-raising,” he said.

Construction workers recently demolished the inside of the building so they could begin erecting the frame, Troske said, which students walking between POT and Memorial Hall can see now.

“The only things they left were the floor and the staircase,” Troske said.

In two to three weeks, the cranes will leave and workers should be able to begin laying insulation, Troske said.

Utility work around the outside of the building has already been finished.

Students in the Gatton college are down to one door to enter and exit their classes, Troske said.

“It’s a little slow, it’s a little more congested than it was before,” Troske said. “But I still haven’t heard a lot of complaints.”

In Aug. 2015, when the first renovation opens, all-new faculty offices and classrooms, a 500-seat auditorium, group study rooms and an atrium will be available, Troske said.

UK has communicated with the city about interference with roads, Troske said, and Administration Drive, currently closed, should be open in the next week or so.

“When we complete it, we think the building will be a spectacular building and will be worth the inconvenience,” Troske said.