Ohio football fails to temper UK’s optimism

Kentucky Wildcats wide receiver Ryan Timmons (1) runs downfield during the second half against the Ohio Bobcats at Commonwealth Stadium on Saturday, September 6, 2014 in Lexington, Ky. Kentucky defeated Ohio 20-3. Photo by Michael Reaves

By Joshua Huff

UK football faced its first true test of the young season Saturday as Ohio made the trip down to Commonwealth Stadium. The Bobcats proceeded to yank UK back down to reality with their physical play on the defensive side of the ball but failed to temper the Cats.

Offensively, the Cats struggled to gain any momentum after the first quarter. After an offensive bombardment last week against the University of Tennessee at Martin, UK failed to move the ball with any consistency. The Bobcats front four lived up to their billing, slowing UK’s pass and ground game to a grind.

“We have a lot of respect for that team,” head coach Mark Stoops said. “They’re (Ohio) a very good team. They went to five straight bowl games and I imagine they’ll go again. They have great players and they know what they’re doing.”

The Bobcats’ defense was impressive, according to UK offensive coordinator Neal Brown. “They move a ton up front,” Brown said. “They slant and move their defensive line a bunch.”

“They put stress on you,” Stoops added. “And they make you defend plays. You have to add numbers to the run game, they’re very good at their shots. They know what they’re doing and they make it difficult for you.”

Offensively, the longest pass of the game for UK was a 33-yarder to Dorian Baker. It’s not like the Cats didn’t have the opportunities. Miscommunications with the receivers and fairly modest play-calling limited the razzle and dazzle of what fans have come to expect from these young and talented Cats.

The defense was a bright spot for UK. While Stoops worried about the depth, the Cats’ “bad boys” stiffened and never buckled, holding Ohio without a touchdown. The only worry will be the play of the secondary. Despite two interceptions last weekend, the Bobcats were a few dropped balls away from changing the landscape of the game.

Despite the 17-point win, the Cats struggled in a game where they never trailed. The biggest issue was the play in the red zone, where UK kicked four field goals, missing two.

“We went to the red zone about five times,” sophomore Ryan Timmons said. “It hurts leaving points up on the board. We just need to watch film and try to execute more in the red zone.”

Timmons was the breakout star for the Cats. Catching 10 balls for 95 yards, a career best. In a game that veered away from the deep ball, his 9.5 yard per catch average saved a few drives for UK.

“Coach Brown did a great job today of calling plays,” Timmons said. “And the way we were playing was easy for us. The way they were playing us was easy throw and catch for us. They (Ohio) didn’t take it away from us so we kept doing it.”

We can sit here and nitpick the Cats play today, but a victory is a victory. Playmakers are emerging with the likes of quarterback Patrick Towles, who rushed 22 times and made smart decisions with the ball. On the defensive side, the line of UK held Ohio’s rushing game to only 74 yards and their pass game to just 149 yards.

For a team that lacks experience, progress is the true meter of success.

“Win or lose,” Stoops said. “Progress. We still made progress today. It’s good to be in a tough game when things don’t go perfect and win.”