Fonzworth Bentley addresses ‘Swagger’ in Memorial Hall speech

By Erik Kropp

Students looking to get ahead and improve their “swagger” can attend a talk given by Fonzworth Bentley, a musician, author and former assistant to P. Diddy, speaks about his book, , at 7 p.m. Thursday in Memorial Hall.

“It was three different pieces that led to this,” said Kahlil Baker, interim director for the Martin Luther King Jr. Cultural Center.

The idea for the event was prompted by a conversation with ISC and merchandising, apparel and textiles senior Jamarl Bryant, Baker said.

After asking Bryant who he would like to see speak at UK, Bryant suggested Bentley because he thought his perspective on professionalism in business would be interesting.

“It is all about helping students to develop personally and emotionally, and we felt like he could do that,” Baker said.

Baker became acquainted with Atlantic Records executive Amir Windom when Windom spoke at UK last March. Windom, who happens to be good friends with Bentley, told Baker that he would put a good word in, Baker said.

Judy Jackson, vice president for institutional diversity, told Baker that she would like to see Fonzworth speak at the college and the event was given a green light.

“We partnered with the Career Center and the Black Student Union,” Baker said.

He hopes that students listening to Bentley will be prepared for whatever career path they choose and will benefit from the event.

Baker said he expects 200 to 250 students to show up for the event but is optimistic that more will come because of the increased exposure that the event is getting. Baker said that Bentley is a good influence for college students to develop personally and professionally.

“When it comes to audiences, it is often who is delivering the message (that matters),” Baker said. “If I say the words that Fonzworth Bentley gives in a speech, it doesn’t convey the same message.”