Youthful Cats hold key to men’s soccer success

By Boyd C.M. Hayes

As head coach Johan Cedergren steps into a new season, his third at the helm of UK men’s soccer, he will be doing so with the hope that his band of underclassmen will quickly become a team of overachievers.

After the departure of last season’s top three goal scorers and senior defensive leaders, Cedergren will once again be relying on youth, even with seven returning starters.

Though there is a gang of talented freshmen coming in, including Stefan Stojkovic and Hampus Agerström of Sweden, as well as Noah Hutchins and Andrew McKelvey of the Columbus Crew Academy, freshmen won’t dominate this season as they did last year.

Instead, the freshmen of a year ago, who previously lacked the experience and poise to match their talent, will take the helm. Considering they constitute 10 players on the 28-man roster (joined by 12 freshmen, four juniors and two seniors), much of the team’s success or failure will be decided by the second-year players.

Freshmen were responsible for seven goals and 12 assists last season, led by midfielder Napo Matsoso, forward Sam Miller and midfielder Kaelon Fox. Meanwhile, defenders Alex Bumpus and Jordan Wilson provided defensive stability.

Matsoso and Wilson have been named preseason second-team All-Conference USA, and their leadership, even as sophomores, will be vital.

They won’t have to shoulder this season’s load entirely on their own, however. Though they are few in number, there is talent among the upperclassmen, and more importantly, experience.

Junior goalkeeper Callum Irving earned preseason first-team All-Conference USA honors ahead of this season after recording six clean sheets in 15 starts last season, on top of 45 saves. Further up the pitch, junior midfielder Bryan Celis should be a stabilizing force in midfield, coming in as a preseason second-team all-conference player.

The main technical concern for the team will be whether they can turn opportunities into goals, something they struggled to do in their inexperience last season. The Cats’ 25 goals from 291 shots made for a .082 shooting percentage, ninth in the conference of 10 teams.

With no goals scored by UK in the past week’s two exhibition games, the Cats’ conversion record is not looking much better early on. If the attacking players are to become more clinical, they must do so quickly, with the regular season just around the bend.

The true mettle of the team will be tested in the ensuing weeks, with matches against Indiana and defending national champion Notre Dame on Sept. 5 and 7, respectively, not to mention a matchup with in-state rival Louisville at home on Sept. 23.

Though the season ahead is filled with mystery for Cedergren’s young team, he will be hoping they can find the courage to forge ahead underneath the lights of the new Wendell & Vickie Bell Soccer Complex.

After kicking off the season in Dayton, Ohio, against Wright State on Friday at 7 p.m., the Cats will return to Lexington for their home opener against Belmont on Sunday at 5 p.m.