SEC will feature a lot of new faces, same results

A new postseason system to determine a championship will look mighty different than the BCS did. One thing that will not look so different — the SEC’s presence in determining the National Champion.

Here’s how the SEC will shake out and will send a team into the first College Football Playoffs:

SEC East

1. South Carolina (9-3, 6-2)

2. Missouri (9-3, 6-2)

3. Georgia (7-5, 4-4)

4. Florida (7-5, 4-4)

5. Tennessee (6-6, 3-5)

6. UK (5-7, 2-6)

7. Vanderbilt  (3-9, 1-7)

Three teams stand above the rest in the SEC East division. All three teams will look at replacing senior quarterbacks with backups who started games in 2013. And the best of the bunch plays for Missouri (junior Maty Mauk).

But South Carolina has the best overall talent, the best coach and the best home-field advantage out of the three. The Gamecocks will replace defensive end Jadeveon Clowney and quarterback Connor Shaw with a more rounded approach on each side of the ball. Dylan Thompson will especially fill in for Shaw without much of a difference in play or scheme — with a lot of help from tailback Mike Davis.

Georgia is the hardest to read. Head coach Mark Richt rarely has back-to-back seasons with less than 10 wins, but his depth chart has been gutted by suspensions and dismissals, especially on defense. Those suspensions will prove vital in early-season games against Clemson and South Carolina. We’ll know by the end of September whether or not the Bulldogs can contend for a division championship.

The Volunteers will go bowling for the first time since 2010 as Derek Dooley moves his team closer to regaining a foothold in the SEC East. Like the final two teams in the division, Tennessee has recruited well in the last two years. 2015 may be the year it returns atop the division, pending on whether or not Dooley can stabilize the quarterback position. If UK can replicate the 2013 Volunteers season, fans should feel good about the direction of the program.

Speaking of the Cats, they will fall a win short of reaching the reward of a bowl game and the bigger long-term award of two extra weeks of practice. UK will find that youth, even if it is some of the best young talent they’ve ever had in Lexington, can take years to develop in the nation’s best football conference.

They’ll be better than a Vanderbilt team that has to replace a lot of talented veterans which carried the Commodores to bowl appearances in 2012 and 2013.

SEC West

1. Auburn (11-1, 7-1)

2. LSU (10-2, 6-2)

3. Alabama (10-2, 6-2)

4. Ole Miss (9-3, 5-3)

5. Texas A&M (8-4, 4-4)

6. Mississippi State (5-7, 1-7)

7. Arkansas (3-9, 0-8)

I hope there are no ‘Bama fans on campus that read this. When it came down to picking between the Tide and the Tigers in the SEC West, the quarterback situations for the two teams played a large role, as it will throughout the season.

Auburn has a quarterback who played in three enormously large football games last season and won two of them (while playing well in the other, the National Championship Game). Alabama doesn’t know who its quarterback will be at this point in a competition between a transfer from Florida State and a sophomore who was a reserve from a year ago.

Which one is more trustworthy at The Grove? Or at Death Valley? Nick Marshall is the answer, and Auburn is placed ahead of Alabama because of it. With another year of the Gus Malzahn offense under his belt, Marshall will be a Heisman Trophy candidate if he stays healthy.

And a terrorizing division that includes Ole Miss and Texas A&M mid-pack will force LSU and Alabama, two reloading programs, to bowls outside of the new playoff.

SEC Championship Game- Auburn defeats South Carolina

Nick Marshall shreds a South Carolina defense who is still trying to catch its breath from a losing effort against Clemson and its fast-paced offense.

College Football Playoff- Florida State defeats Ohio State in Semifinal No. 1; Oklahoma defeats Auburn in Semifinal No. 2

Florida State defeats Oklahoma to repeat as National Champions.

Jameis Winston knows, lobster or no lobster, that he can become a Florida State legend by winning a second National Championship. He’ll have to avoid a few traps in the regular season and will power through the College Football Playoffs.

Welcome to the Playoff Era.