Baseball clinches SEC Tournament berth with win over Georgia

Junior first baseman and pitcher A.J. Reed collected four hits  and threw eight shutout innings as UK beat Georgia 13-0 in Athens, Georgia to clinch an SEC Tournament berth.

Reed collected his 10th win of the season, allowing three singles in his eight innings of work on the mound. He went 4-for-6 from the plate, driving in two runs and clubbing a double.

Georgia (25-27-1, 10-17-1 SEC) and UK were scoreless through four innings when seniors Micheal Thomas and Matt Reida hit back-to-back doubles. Reida’s double scored Thomas in what would be the go-ahead run for the Cats.

After Reed drove in a run in the sixth inning, the Cats bursted for a five-run seventh inning, stamped by a two-run home run by sophomore outfielder Ka’ai Tom.

UK scored three runs in the eighth inning and two in the ninth to provide the final margin.

Kuhn went 4-for-6 with two doubles and four runs batted in for the Cats (31-21, 13-15 SEC), who are currently seeded ninth in the SEC Tournament with two days remaining in conference play.

The top four teams in the SEC standings receive a one-game bye in the double-elimination tournament. UK cannot reach a top-four seed, but can move as high as a 7-seed depending on this weekend’s outcomes.

STAFF REPORT