UK baseball thumps Tennessee 15-1 in series opener

Coming off an embarrassing loss to Ole Miss last weekend, UK baseball took their frustrations out on a hapless Tennessee team on Thursday, defeating the Volunteers 15-1.

Tennessee (26-17, 8-14 SEC) jumped out to an early one-run lead in the first, but the Cats offense shook off the rust and raced to seven straight runs in the first three innings. With the bases loaded, junior Thomas Bernal flied out to left, scoring freshman JaVon Shelby from third. That set the stage for Ka’ai Tom, who with two on launched a missile over the right field wall, scoring three runs. Freshman Storm Wilson added two more runs off an inside the park home run.

Coming off his worst start of his career last Friday, junior A.J. Reed (8-2) controlled the Volunteers, giving up only three hits while striking out nine in eight innings of work. He was helped by a much-improved defense that was bolstered by strong fielding from junior Max Kuhn and Shelby.

The Cats had a blast in the past against Tennessee, unleashing their trademark offense on freshman pitcher Hunter Martin (3-3) who lasted six innings and gave up seven runs off seven hits despite striking out eight.

Tom and Wilson shifted the offense in gear, going a combined 3-for-7 with two home runs and seven runs batted in. Senior Micheal Thomas added an RBI after going 2-for-4 at the plate. Reed hit a three-run home run in the eighth, which increased his home run total to an NCAA leading 20 home runs. Senior Matt Reida hit the Cats fourth home run of the night on a three run blast in the ninth inning.

With the SEC Tournament in a few weeks and with just two SEC series left, UK starts their run to the tournament with an impressive series-opening win and will go for the series clincher Friday.

STAFF REPORT