Aaron and Andrew Harrison announce that they will stay at UK

Freshmen guards Aaron and Andrew Harrison announced on Twitter that they will return to UK for their sophomore seasons on Friday.

“I’m excited about Aaron and Andrew’s decision to return for next season,” head coach John Calipari said in a UK Athletics press release. “Their postseason play was a result of the improvement they made all season and displayed what they’re capable of doing on the court. I look forward to having the opportunity to work with them during the summer and watch them lead next year’s team.”

Yahoo Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski first reported earlier Friday that the Harrisons were returning next season.  The decision had to be made before the April 27 deadline for players to enter the NBA Draft.

The Harrisons started all 40 games last season. Aaron Harrison averaged 13.7 points per game and hit 3-pointers late in UK’s NCAA Tournament victories against Louisville, Michigan and Wisconsin. Andrew Harrison was head coach John Calipari’s subject of a late-season “tweak” of passing the ball more, which helped UK push to the National Championship game.

Most NBA Draft websites projected each guard to be picked outside the top half of the NBA Draft.

Aaron and Andrew Harrison join freshmen Marcus Lee and Dakari Johnson along with sophomores Willie Cauley-Stein and Alex Poythress in returning next season. Freshmen Dominique Hawkins and Derek Willis, who saw time throughout the season, also return.

UK will add the No. 2 rated freshman class to the roster, which includes center Karl-Anthony Towns, forward Trey Lyles and guards Devin Booker and Tyler Ulis. All are ranked inside Rivals’ Top 30 for the Class of 2014.