Workshop shows a hands-on way to teach gardening

By Jessica Ng

A workshop at the UK Arboretum on Tuesday aimed to teach educators hands-on ways to teach their own students about gardening.

The Project Learning Tree Workshop taught formal and informal educators how to teach gardening to children.

Staff from Kentucky State University and the Fayette County Cooperative Extension led attendees through the four-hour educational curriculum.

“I think the goal is that people will come out of this with new ideas and approaches to teach in a way that emerges students and creates a hands-on environment,” said Jennifer Hubbard-Sanchez, state specialist for sustainable programming at Kentucky State University and instructor for the workshop.

Attendees are trained to use the curriculum guide with hands-on activities and to incorporate what they learned into their own programs.

Teachers and anyone involved with the Kentucky Association for Environmental Education, or environmental educators such as scout leaders, usually attend this one-time training workshop, but anyone can attend for a $30 fee.

“I think gardening should be taught because people need to have a closer connection to their food and the environment,” said Emma Trester-Wilson, Kentucky Children’s Garden education coordinator at the Arboretum. “Gardening teaches people basic ways to be storers of the earth.”

The American Forest Foundation developed the environmental education curriculum the national workshop uses, according to Trester-Wilson.

The environmental education guide taught Tuesday night focused on trees because April is Party for the Planet month.

Adult and children classes are offered throughout the month and will culminate with the Arbor Day event at the Arboretum on April 26 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.