Softball wins at Western Kentucky

No. 9 UK softball picked up their 39th win of the season, marking the most wins during the regular-season play in program history, in an 11-8 victory over in-state rival Western Kentucky on Tuesday at the WKU Softball Complex.

Sophomore infielder Nikki Sagermann smacked her 11th homerun of the season, marking her fifth homer in the past five games.

The Hilltoppers jumped on sophomore pitcher Kelsey Nunley in the first inning by knocking in two runs to grab an early 2-0 lead.

The Cats responded with a three-run inning that was ignited by a solo homerun from sophomore infielder Christian Stokes.

The UK bats did not slow down as the Cats tallied up three more runs in the top of the third inning. A wild pitch and throwing error from the Hilltoppers brought in two runs for the Cats.

Sagermann smashed a three-run bomb to centerfield to put the Cats up 9-2 after the top of the fourth inning.

The Hilltoppers made a furious comeback, plating six runs in two innings as the Cats lead was cut to one going into the top of the seventh inning.

UK scored two insurance runs in the top of the seventh inning as sophomore pitcher Kelsey Nunley capped off the Cats victory with a 1-2-3 seventh inning and picked up the victory.

STAFF REPORT