Eight former Cats make the NBA Playoffs

By Brett Bibbins

The first round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs began Saturday as 16 teams continued their quests for an NBA Title. This year, eight former Cats made the playoff rosters, one less than last season’s total.

In the Eastern Conference, six former UK players will take the court in the playoffs.

Former UK star John Wall (2009-10) and the 5-seed Washington Wizards will take on the 4-seed Chicago Bulls and former Cat Nazr Mohammed (1995-98).

Wall had a breakout season for the Wizards en route to his first All-Star Game. Wall averaged 19.3 points, 8.8 assists, 4.1 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game, including an 80.5 percent mark from the free-throw stripe.

For the Bulls, Mohammed only played seven minutes per game. He scored 1.6 points and pulled down 2.2 rebounds per game.  Mohammed’s scoring equals his lowest average since his rookie season in 1998-99.

The matchup of the 3-seed Toronto Raptors and the 6-seed Brooklyn Nets is host to three former Cats. Patrick Patterson (2007-10) and Chuck Hayes (2001-05) suit up for the Raptors, while Marquis Teague (2011-12) plays for the Nets.

Patterson played 48 games with the Raptors this season after being traded from Sacramento. He averaged 9.1 points, 5.1 rebounds and 1.3 assists. Hayes played 12.8 minutes a game for the Raptors this season, averaging 2.2 points and 3.6 rebounds, while shooting a career-high 83.3 percent from the free-throw line.

Teague struggled to find a way onto the court for the Nets this season, only playing in 21 games. Teague averaged three points, 1.4 assists and one rebound in 9.6 minutes of play.

The final former UK player from the Eastern Conference is Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (2011-12) of the 7-seed Charlotte Bobcats.

Kidd-Gilchrist struggled in his sophomore season in the league. He averaged 7.2 points, 5.2 rebounds and 0.7 steals per game.

In the Western Conference, two former UK players take the floor in pursuit of a title.

In the matchup of the 4-seed Houston Rockets and 5-seed Portland Trailblazers, Terrence Jones (2010-12) looks for more success in his second-ever playoff appearance. Last season, Jones only saw floor time in two playoff games.

Jones had a career year for Houston, averaging 12.1 points, 6.9 rebounds, 1.3 blocks and 0.7 steals per game.

The final former UK player in action in the playoffs this season is Tayshaun Prince (1998-02) of the 7-seed Memphis Grizzlies.

Prince was an everyday starter for the Grizzlies this season, averaging six points, 3.1 rebounds and 1.6 assists in 25.6 minutes per game.

The playoffs will be televised on TNT, ESPN and ABC throughout the week.