Miss Omega Scholarship Pageant brings energy, style to Memorial Hall

By Kristian Dudgeon

Ambitious ladies, energetic dance moves, fierce catwalks, Beyonce hits, business suits and evening gowns were just some of the things that graced the Memorial Hall stage during the second annual Miss Omega Scholarship Pageant put on by the men of Omega Psi Phi fraternity, Inc. on Monday.

Jalyn Hewitt, a sociology senior, was crowned Miss Omega 2014 after progressing through the competition with contagious confidence and a beaming smile.

“I just wanted this so bad,” Hewitt said. “I worked so hard at it. Toward the end of the pageant I was just realizing that whatever happens happens. If you win, you win, If you don’t, that’s great. You tried your best.”

When asked about her reaction to the emcees announcing that she was the winner, Hewitt, with an exuberant, triumphant smile said, “I was ecstatic.”

In addition to the title, there were other winners announced as well. Danielle Williams was the runner-up, Nicole Rawlings was named Miss Enthusiasm and Jasmine Mason was named Miss Perseverance.

Contestants were judged on things including performance, appearance and composure as they progressed through various rounds of the competition.

These rounds included the performance of an opening dance routine, swimwear, onstage questions and the infamous “Hop Like A Que” round, in which contestants had to perform a hop routine similar to those often performed by the men of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.