James Young enters the NBA Draft

UK guard/forward James Young (1) dunks the ball during the NCAA Championship vs. UConn at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Tx., on Monday, April 7, 2014. Photo by Emily Wuetcher

Freshman guard James Young is entering his name into the NBA Draft, a UK Athletics press release said.

Young averaged 14.3 points per game in his freshman season, which ranked second on the team. The Rochester Hills, Mich.  native is the 16th best prospect by DraftExpress and is regarded throughout most mock drafts as a first-round prospect.

“My time at Kentucky has been special to me, something I’ll always treasure, but I feel that I’m ready to take the next step to the NBA,” Young said in the release. “I’ve learned more this year, on and off the court, about life from Coach Cal and the staff and appreciate all of their guidance and support.”

Young is the first Cats player this season who has announced that he is leaving for the NBA and the 11th freshman to leave after one season since head coach John Calipari has been at UK.

“I’m excited for James and his family and the decision he’s come to,” Calipari said in the release. “From day one, the NBA people who came to our practices in the preseason raved about him.”

STAFF REPORT