UK sweeps season series with Louisville

By Joshua Huff

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Four errors doomed No. 10 Louisville on Tuesday as UK baseball won a highly-contested game, 4-2, and completed the season sweep over its in-state rival.

The two teams sent a combined 12 pitchers to the mound. No. 19 UK (24-13, 7-8 SEC) sent out four pitchers with freshman Logan Salow (2-1) earning the win.

A throwing error by Louisville centerfielder Logan Taylor, set in motion by a single from junior Thomas Bernal in the top of the second, scored UK’s first run of the evening in the second inning.

Sophomore pitcher Ryne Combs lasted two innings. He was pulled in the bottom of the third after he loaded the bases and allowed a run by walking Louisville senior Cole Sturgeon.

UK’s defense minimized the damage in the inning with a heads-up play by senior catcher Micheal Thomas, who threw out a runner at second following a strikeout.

The night was a stepping stone for two freshmen pitchers who pitched six total innings of shutout baseball. The Cards were 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position. Salow pitched 3.2 innings, while Zack Brown pitched 2.1 innings and allowed three baserunners.

“It’s a huge confidence builder for the both of us,” Salow said. “When we get to come out here and throw a little more innings then we’re used to, (we can) work on our skills and be able to produce good outings.”

Down 2-1, the Cats responded in the fourth inning. Sophomore Ka’ai Tom singled, scoring junior A.J. Reed. Freshman JaVon Shelby then walked to score another run, giving UK a 3-2 lead.

Salow held the Cardinals to five hits and did not allow a run.

UK added an insurance run in the ninth after a passed ball scored freshman pinch-hitter Marcus Carson.

Sophomore Kyle Cody came on in the ninth and needed just 14 pitches en route to his third save of the year.

“It’s a game we want to win every year,” UK head coach Gary Henderson said. “We’re very glad to win. Louisville is a good club … It’s always good to win a tight one on the road because it gives your kid’s confidence moving forward.”