Revived, new courses to be offered in fall 2014

By Jessica Ng

It’s time to register for fall 2014, but UK course offerings are not always in plain view. Here are some new and revived courses for students to consider while enrolling:

·The French Graphic Novel (FR 205 Section 001) with senior lecturer Jeorg Sauer

Primarily taught to Honors students, this course fulfills UK Core’s Inquiry in the Humanities requirement.

“Why should students want to take this class? Because it’s awesome,” Sauer said. “It’s a class that looks at how text and images can and do work together to represent a cultural identity. It’s beautiful and squiggly and fun and fascinating and colorful. And amazingly, it’s all done in English.”

Sauer said that she will try to focus on a breadth of topics, from politics and history to literature and sex.

The course is also offered for the upcoming four-week summer session.

·Daoism: East and West (CHI 450 Sec 001) with assistant professor Matthew Wells

CHI 330 and CHI 345 are strongly recommended as prerequisites for this course, which was last offered in fall 2012.

According to the course description, students will examine the development and effects of the Chinese indigenous, philosophical and religious tradition through texts and discussion.

·Visual Storytelling (TA 368 Section 001) with professor John Holloway

The Department of Theatre will bring back this course, in which students use visuals such as puppets and masks to explore and communicate a story.

“Visual Storytelling is a chance for the students to translate their dreams and visions into a visual medium — in this case, Indonesian-style puppets with a Western flair,” Holloway said. “In the class, we take your dreams and find a way to interpret them with shadows and to create a narrative story for an audience in a safe environment.”

·Ghost Stories: The Haunting of the Imagination (HON 151 Section 002) with Lisa Broome, interim director of the Academy for Undergraduate Excellence at UK

Broome said that students will not only read, but have the opportunity to write ghost stories in her class. She also said students may go on a haunted Lexington tour.

“The class will be asked to think about what makes us react to tales in certain ways,” Broome said. “It gives us a chance to study something that is everywhere but is not often studied.”