UK softball earns road sweep of Ole Miss

UK softball pulled out an 11-4, 10-inning victory against Ole Miss on Sunday in Oxford, Miss., for a series sweep.

The Cats (36-8, 10-5 SEC) and the Rebels were tied 4-4 heading into the 10th inning Sunday. UK had an offensive explosion by tallying up seven runs in the inning, six of which came with two outs in the inning.

A solo home run by sophomore third baseman Nikki Sagermann started the Cats’  rally. With two outs in the inning, senior outfielder Ginny Carroll extended the lead with an RBI single.

Senior outfielder Emily Gaines knocked in two more runs with a single of her own, and senior pitcher and infielder Lauren Cumbess’ three-run home run capped off the seven-run inning for the Cats.

Sophomore pitcher Kelsey Nunley struck out the final batter to clinch UK’s sweep over the Rebels.

UK began the series Friday with a 3-1 win after sophomore leftfielder Massie Steed hit a two-run homer in the top of the second to propel the Cats to a 3-1 victory over the Rebels.

Along with Steed’s sixth home run of the season, Nunley picked up her team-leading 16th win of the year, earning four strikeouts and allowing only one run in seven innings.

Cumbess delivered both on the mound and at the plate on Saturday in the second game of the series. She tossed five innings, striking out four batters and allowing a run. She also delivered a two-run triple in the second inning that put the Cats up 2-0.

The Cats have now won seven straight games, including five straight conference wins.

STAFF REPORT