Harrison twins should not enter NBA Draft this year

When UK’s season ended on Monday night, the focus shifted from what the team did to what the players will do.

Before the Cats had even taken off their jerseys, many were asked what their plans were for next year. For some, a return to Lexington is inevitable. For others, the decision has become complicated.

But for Andrew and Aaron Harrison whose stocked dropped so dramatically throughout a turbulent season, entering June’s NBA Draft would be a big mistake.

The general consensus has baffled me. Many people since the Cats’ National Championship defeat have assumed that the Harrison’s would go pro.

Sure, they played their best basketball in the postseason. And sure, they have the size and potential to be good pro players in the future.

But what hurt them were their first 32 games. Initially projected as lottery picks, Andrew and Aaron Harrison both gradually fell from that pedestal throughout the year. UK’s losses and their consistently inconsistent production dropped them out of most mock drafts.

It’s not like they just dropped to the second round. ESPN and DraftExpress, two of the most respected outlets in draft prognostications, said back in January that the twins would go undrafted this year.

So even given their recent improvement and Aaron Harrison’s late-game heroics, those same sites haven’t given them much improvement.

DraftExpress’ updated mock draft still has neither player taken. ESPN draft expert Chad Ford has Andrew Harrison listed in his “Next five in” after the Top 30. Aaron Harrison isn’t mentioned.

If those mirror the opinion of NBA general managers, which they normally do, there is no reason for either Cat to leave.

The NBA Draft is a delicate process. If a player isn’t selected in the first round, he isn’t guaranteed a contract. And the lower in the first round he goes, the cheaper the initial contract will be.

All things being equal, someone should never leave school early if all indications are that he isn’t a first round pick. When the money and a roster spot aren’t promised, another year in college could make those question marks disappear.

I support freshmen leaving early. As a sure top-5 pick this season and an NBA-ready body, freshman forward Julius Randle should not stay in school. The risk for injury or regression is too high to give up what is sitting on the table already.

And there are several other players who will leave UK early this year, and rightfully so. They deserve it.

But if the Harrison twins leave school this season, they will probably be second round picks.

That’s not enough incentive to make the jump too early. They’ll be ready soon.

It just isn’t right now.