Avery Williamson leaves leadership gap at linebacker

By Matt Overing

Avery Williamson left a hole that cannot be filled by any one player on the UK roster.

The senior middle linebacker led UK in tackles in 2012 and 2013.

UK returns five linebackers who contributed at least one tackle last season: Juniors Tre’ Dunn, Josh Forrest and Khalid Henderson and seniors TraVaughn Paschal and Miles Simpson. Senior Tyler Brause also returns after playing on special teams last season.

“Avery is tough to replace,” Stoops said. “(Replacing him) is by committee right now. We’ve got to work through that. We don’t have anybody that is ready to jump in.”

UK added four linebackers in the 2014 class. Dorian Hendrix (Wayne High School, Huber Heights, Ohio) is an early-enrolling freshman who has benefitted from the position battle at linebacker.

“It has been a learning process,” Hendrix said. “At the end of the day, it’s football. The biggest thing for me is learning the plays and learning the playbook. It’s going to take time, but I feel like I can have that opportunity (to replace Avery).”

Hendrix said that Paschal and Simpson have helped lead him to make the transition from high school to college easier.

Hendrix says the playbook has been the most challenging adjustment, something that went through an overhaul in Stoops’ first year at UK.

The defense used multiple formations last season. At times, defensive ends like Bud Dupree and Jason Hatcher would slide back and play linebacker in a 3-4 front. UK also went to a nickel formation with regularity in 2013, with sophomore cornerback Blake McClain holding down the starting nickel spot for the final 11 games of last season.

Although Simpson did not make a start in 2013, he started at linebacker in 2012 and recorded 70 tackles. He said he wants to regain his starting position in 2014.

“I’m trying my best,” Simpson said. “I’m not Avery. I’m not trying to be Avery.”

Paschal earned five starts at weakside linebacker last season while Henderson started seven. Forrest said that this season’s linebacker competition, like in prior years, has been intense.

“(Avery) being gone, it’s tough,” Forrest said. “Everyone has been trying to step up. We know there’s an open spot. The competition has made practice more fun, for me anyway. It’s making us pay attention and focus.”

Defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot said that the team has improved from last season.

“I can see guys that have played for us last year, maybe for the first time, I can see those guys getting better,” Eliot said.