Vacant house set fire on State St.

A vacant house on State Street was intentionally set on fire early Tuesday morning, according to a fire official. However, it is unclear whether it was related to State Street crowds who gathered after UK’s National Championship loss late Monday night. Photo by Kyle Arensdorf

A vacant house on State Street “was intentionally set” on fire early Tuesday morning, Lexington fire Battalion Chief Mark Harvey said.

Harvey said firefighters responded to 224 State St. at around 4 a.m.

He did not yet know if the fire was related to crowd activity on State Street, where hundreds gathered after UK’s National Championship loss to UConn on Monday night. The activity included couches and T-shirts set on fire in the area.

“We are not willing to come out and say that (the fire was related to the State Street crowd),” Harvey said. “It was far enough after the fact that you can draw your own conclusions.”

Harvey did not have details from investigators regarding where the fire started or what happened. The crowd dispersed a few hours before the fire was started, he said.

There were no suspects as of Tuesday afternoon.

STAFF REPORT