Win or lose, Tuesday classes will take place as scheduled

By Anne Halliwell

Despite Monday’s 9:10 p.m. air time, students can expect few accommodations from UK administration and faculty.

“Classes will be on,” said UK spokeswoman Kathy Johnson. “There will not be a cancellation —­ they have made that decision.”

Deborah Kirkman, associate director of Writing, Rhetoric and Digital Studies, doubted that any classes would be cancelled given the interference of NCUR with normal meetings on Thursday and Friday.

Karen Petrone, history department chair, is sympathetic to her students’ dilemma, but hopes that academic pursuits will also be made a priority.

“While I am very strongly rooting for the team, I will be holding classes on Tuesday,” Petrone said. “I absolutely want them to celebrate, but I also want them to take their classes seriously.”

Kirkman added that if students are able to opt for a voluntary absence, then they should not be affected much. But students who have used their allotted absences will hopefully attend as usual.

“I think most people are expecting people to act like adults,” Kirkman said.

Petrone spoke highly of the sense of camaraderie that celebrating sports victories lends to campus. But, she said that on Monday and Tuesday, she will hold students to the same standards as she would any other day.

“This is an institution of higher learning, and win or lose that learning has to go on,” Petrone said.

President Eli Capilouto sent an email out Monday that went as follows:

Wildcats,

What an exciting weekend! Congratulations to our men’s basketball team on another thrilling victory. On Monday night we will be competing at the highest level for our ninth National Championship.

Following the example of excellence our team has displayed, I want to remind you that the University of Kentucky displays excellence both on and off the court. Regardless of the outcome of Monday night’s game, classes at the University of Kentucky will go on as scheduled.

Please be safe and respectful in your celebrations. Watch out for one another. Keep each other safe. Be smart and careful. Have fun.

Enjoy the game on Monday night, #CelebrateLikeAChampion and we’ll see you in class on Tuesday.

Go Cats!

Eli Capilouto

President