Weekly Cats Den event aims to provide laughs for students

By Luke Troxell

The Comedy Caravan is a weekly stand-up comedy show hosted by Beau Davis presented at The Cats Den at 8 p.m. every Wednesday that is free to students.

The Comedy Caravan began years ago and grew into a weekly Cats Den event.

“Eventually it became a Cats Den staple, and it’s our only weekly event,” Davis said. “It’s kind of the crown jewel of what we try to do at the Cats Den, which is provide quality entertainment for students.”

The Comedy Caravan gets a lot of well-known names to come perform including comics that have been on the Chapelle Show, The Last Comic Standing, The Letterman Show, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and E! Network.

Host Davis hopes to bring other big names to perform at the Comedy Caravan.

“We really want to keep it a weekly thing,” Davis said. “The more people we are able to get here the better chances we’ll have to bring even bigger comedians, and that’s one of the big challenges.”

Attendance has slipped lately, but that doesn’t keep Davis from being optimistic about success of the Comedy Caravan.

“We are averaging around 60 people per show, and I think that is fantastic for a weekly show,” Davis said. “I’m glad we are able to satisfy that many people. It is really nice to make that many people laugh on a weekly basis.”

At least one student enjoys taking the time out of their Wednesdays to go to the Cats Den and listen to the comics perform.

“I like coming because the show is usually always funny, there has only been one time that I’ve came and the show hasn’t been funny,” junior Will Smith said.