UK basketball is better than Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight celebrations

Kyle+Arensdorf

Kyle Arensdorf

The moment that the Cats won the 2012 NCAA National Championship was one of the best of my life.

After the final buzzer sounded and UK had outlasted the University of Kansas, 67-59, a friend of mine and I headed to State Street to celebrate. What made that night so great, as well as the night of UK’s victory over the University of Louisville in the Final Four, was the spontaneity. We were in the clouds and no one could bring us down (except for the riot police).

This year was different.

I was almost embarrassed on Friday and Sunday by the slew of fans who planned and carried out imitations of those nights in 2012, just to celebrate a win in the Sweet 16 and a subsequent win in the Elite Eight. I understand it was Louisville, but the University of Michigan two nights later?

This is UK. UK has won the most games and the second-most championships in the history of college basketball. Aren’t we above going all out for Sweet 16 and Elite Eight victories?

Just think about the consequences that constant over-celebration brings, beyond the obvious ones that come from monopolizing police and firefighters. Rushing State Street the first time was special, but rushing it every time the Cats make it past the third round of the NCAA Tournament will turn what was a transcendent moment two years ago into merely a dangerous and played-out formality.

Not only does this type of celebration demean this moment in UK history but it also leaves us with nowhere to go from here.

We have burned (and flashed) everything possible for our Sweet 16 and Elite Eight victories. What will we do if UK beats the University of Wisconsin? And heaven forbid the Cats actually win the whole thing. The great Adolph Rupp would turn over in his grave if he could see the bedlam happening on State Street.

We are students at a university with a proud basketball tradition. We shouldn’t be celebrating harder than students at the University of Dayton, who just saw their program make the Elite Eight for only the third time.

With only two possible victories remaining in the tournament, responsible celebration is warranted. But enjoy the shenanigans of State Street while you can, because there is a new wave of underclassmen right behind you ready to do the same.

[email protected].