Tight end position will figure in fresh talent

By Matt Overing | UK football beat writer

No position on UK’s roster will see more turnover from the 2013 season than tight end.

Seniors Jordan Aumiller, Anthony Kendrick and Tyler Robinson all graduated. Seniors-to-be Steven Borden and Ronnie Shields are the only tight ends on the 2014 roster that recorded a catch last season.

“I miss those guys — all of them,” Borden said.” But it’s good to come in and have a leadership role. It’s up to me to come in and lead these guys in the right direction.”

Aumiller, Kendrick and Robinson combined for 23 catches, 299 yards and one touchdown last season.

Borden caught three passes for 63 yards and a touchdown. His touchdown, a 38-yard catch, came in UK’s win over Alabama State University.

“My goal is to continue to work on the little things that all add up,” Borden said. “As a group, we’re miles ahead of where we were, even at the end of the season last year. Looking back at spring practice last year, personally, I’ve come a long way.”

Redshirt freshman Thaddeus Kazunas and sophomore John Ballis are the only other tight ends on the roster.

The Cats will bring in Darryl Long (Westerville South High School, Westerville, Ohio), a 3-star tight end according to Rivals.

“Bringing in a lot of new guys helps,” Borden said. “At every position people are pushing each other. Competition brings out the best in people. Spring ball should determine a lot.”

Offensive coordinator Neal Brown has several things he wants to adjust during spring practice, including the offensive pace.

“We want to improve our tempo,” Brown said. “We’re going to play fast. We didn’t do a very good job of that last year … That’s going to be a huge point of emphasis, probably emphasis No. 1. That and getting fundamentally better, those two things are kind of our goals this spring as an offensive unit.”

Borden said practice has been much faster as the offense pushes toward its goals.

“We’re going so fast we can’t even pay attention to who is throwing us passes,” Borden said.

Tight ends struggled to make a significant impact in the offense last year. Aumiller led the position with 12 catches, seventh-best on the team.

Borden said he wants to be the tight end that makes an impact next season.

“At the end of the day, we’re all going for the same spot,” Borden said. “On the field, you want to be the one to make the play, make a big catch or big block. You’re the one that wants to be on the field.”